21 October 2010

I love the rain the most...


So I haven’t written much in my blog. Whoops. I guess I haven’t been doing a lot. I need to get on it. I’ve just been chilling a lot with the family and with my friends. I’ve started a tradition though… whenever I do write, the Chihuahua, Perla is snuggled up to me. Seriously… she tucks herself in somewhere. Right now she’s tucked under my armpit. I guess it’s warm in there… ewwww.

Here’s something I’ve done…. I started classes! At a university. It’s called TEC. I took a level assessment exam last week and I started class today (I would have started Monday, but there was no school). It’s just me and the teacher. Two hours a class, Monday and Wednesday with lots of homework. I love my profesora. Marta is super upbeat and super encouraging. Today we mostly reviewed (which I needed because sometimes I forget the basics). She’s really good at correcting my mistakes and helping me with a word. While reviewing, she would have me practice the present tense of some verbs, then use them in sentences. A couple times after I said a sentence I was surprised because she was so emphatic in her praise. We also laughed and joked together. I think I will learn a lot from her. Plus we might go on field trips!

Here’s something else new for me… last week (or two weeks ago) I experience my first tremor. Word on the street says it was a 5.9. There wasn’t any damage done though… just a little shaking. At first I thought it was a big truck driving by, but it lasted too long for that. Then Meli came in and told me to follow her. It had stopped by then and they explained it to me. I guess it happens every now and then. Weird.

Lindsey and Andres hosted a video game rugby tournament over the weekend. I got to meet some of their rugby friends. That was fun, but a little overwhelming. A lot of dudes talking loud and at the same time and in slang. It was cool though. I’m learning a little “Pachuco” which is Costa Rican slang. Por ejemplo: “cara de pistola” (pistol face) is a bad dude, “Pongase las pilas” (Put in your batteries) means pay attention, etc. I’m sure this will all be tremendously useful in the future.

On Saturday Kristen, Mari and I went hiking at a national park called Braulio Carrillo. It was awesome to get back into the rainforest. I just love trees and plants and leaves and nature. I love it. I really appreciate how Mari and Kristen are both so inquisitive and interactive with the forest. We stopped often to inspect seeds or flowers or bugs. It was great to just stop and marvel at how dynamic and diverse and strange the world is. Plus I got to wear my adventure pants.

Also, I’ve been making scarves as my creative outlet. Don German (the dad) jokes about how the house looks like a sewing factory. I’ve been inspired by my ridiculously awesome and creatively talented friend, Joy. Who knows, I might even get crazy and try to cook.

It’s the rainy season now. Sometimes it pours. 
When it doesn’t I like to go on long walks. 

2 comments:

imjoyous said...

adventure pants! they're still around?

KLT said...

You bet... a little wear and tear just adds character (and holes).