05 November 2010

A hard rain’s a-gonna fall…


It’s the rainy season here in Costa Rica., but yesterday (Wednesday) it poured. Aguacerco is what they call it. One particular area was hit hard – Escazú. It sounds cliché, but my heart really does go out to all the families whose homes were destroyed, and even worse, the ones who lost family members. I know “at least 20 casualties” doesn’t seem like a lot when we see huge death tolls on the news every day, but Costa Rica is a country smaller than the size of  West Virginia. And it’s basically surround by oceans, so you can’t go too far without running into more water.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about that a lot today.



All of a sudden I got busy... and I like it.

Here are some somewhat interesting things I did/saw/experienced since my last post:
  • Visited some “family members” and I met a “cousin”... The first thing she asked me was if I wanted to see her scar from a recent surgery, which of course I did want to see.
  • Made pesto and peanut butter balls! Yum!
  • Went to a Halloween work party with Lindsey.
  • Downloaded the new iTunes... hate it cause it won't let me download anything.
  • Made my teacher dance for joy in class... literally... and on more than one occasion. She just gets really happy when I make sense in Spanish.
  • Went to Pasacalle de la Mascarada which is basically a Halloween parade, Tico style… complete with dancing in the street (especially by me and Kristen).
  • Ate pizza with my teacher (who is awesome) and another student (who is a French Canadian).
  • Visited an organic farm with a group of students and some teachers from the university.
  • Realized (like I didn’t already know) that I have some perfectionist tendencies and can easily get carried away with white out in my homework notebook.
  • Visited Alisha’s family’s exchange student, Ines, from 20 years ago. She’s wonderful! I got to see a Hawaiian themed “festival” at the school where she works as the art teacher. 
  • Posted pictures on facebook.
  • Accepted the fact that I am now a coffee drinker. This came to me as I finished the pot of coffee and made a new one.

And I’m left with this thought as I will soon embark on a weekend trip (perhaps you can ponder with
me)... what’s next for me? After Jan. 8th (my best friend’s sister’s wedding), I have no plans. None. Not even a glimpse of an idea. I know I want to keep studying Spanish (because I am not, in fact, fluent in Spanish in case you were wondering). But I probably should get a job at some point.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Getting a job is over-rated. Don't do what you think you should do, do what you know you love to do :)

P.S. They weren't peanut butter balls with pest in them, were they?

Adam :D