31 March 2007

la vida en la finca de la flor...

Hello loves.
Oh what to say with such little time and keyboard with a sticky spacebar...
I'm still doing great. I love the finca. I love the people. I love the animals.
Let's see... my days usually look like this:
Wake up at 5:35, put on the same dirty clothes I worked in the day before. Make the 7 minute trek up a short but STEEP hill (I moved and no longer stay with Kristen, but it's good and really beautiful where I'm living), help Eugenia with breakfast. I usually make the fruit salad cutting up pineapple, mango, papaya, and bananas that I pick fresh off the bunch.
We eat at 7am. Then we split up and work on various projects, different ones everyday. Some of those different jobs including cleaning out the animals pens, weeding with machetes (yes, they let me have one!), cleaning the kitchen and 'big house', walking the horses into their pen in the forest, shoveling wheelbarrels full of animal crap and making compost piles, etc.
We have a break at 9:30 then work again until lunch at noon. After lunch we sit around and chat, read, talk someone into going to the store to buy ice cream or cookies to eat with our coffee.
At around 3:30 I water flowers and vegetables in the garden. Then shower. Then dinner at 6. Then reading, hanging out, watching tv, etc.
Then I usually go to bed between 8:30-9:30.
Eso es la vida.

Yesterday I took a Spanish class in the afternoon with Vinny, one of the workers there. I think I will take a few more. Lord knows I need the practice. After our class and after I showered, Vinny then gave me a dance lesson in SALSA! (We had danced before when everyone went out one night.) It was so fun. We danced for an hour and then another gringo volunteer came in and so we taught him how to dance too. It was funny because he was a lot taller than Vinny so it was really different. So great.

It's so peaceful here. Everywhere you look there is a breathtaking view. So many times throughout the day I just stop and look around me and smile... I can't believe I'm here. I don't think I would want to be anywhere else right now.

Today we all came into a town called Paraiso for a sort of fair for organic farming. We have a table set up in the park with some produce, organic fertilizer we make at the farm, brochures, etc. There are a lot of hippie-ish Ticos with drums and all sorts of other musical instruments. It's great. There's a concert later and then a bunch of campesinos are coming back to the farm with us to stay for the night. That should be fun.

Anyway... I feel like there is so much to say, but at the same time, not much to say. Life is good. Love is good.
Tranquila.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kitty! I am so happy for you. I love reading your posts and trying to picture what you are seeing and doing. And I'm jealous that you get to play with animals all day. :-) Love you!

Michelle